28 March 2008

Up and running...

Our internet has been down for the past three days. It's like falling off the edge of the earth, living without it...incredible. I can't seem to write fast enough in my hand-written journal, so typing is where it's at. Nevermind that I've had trouble falling asleep at night because I have so many things rolling around in this dome of mine....

Anyway, I had a doctor's appt, an annual check-up, on Wednesday afternoon. I have realized that I suffer (severely) from the Napoleon Complex. (I hate to admit it.) The first thing the medical assistant, Kelly, did was weigh me and measure my height. 118 lbs, okay, that I knew. But then she measured me..."5'0"" she says. WHAT?! I responded, "No way, I'm closer to 5'1", do it again." She rolled her eyes, but I think she understood that when you're my height, every inch counts! So, again I went under the metal bracket, trying to stand as tall as possible. We looked again. "Sorry," she said, "Five-feet." Damn.

Today I was the lab guinea pig for the new lancets that we received. Three of us were standing at the counter, twisting the ends from the lancets and trying them on one of Josette's foam hand-sqeezy things. They didn't break the surface...so I volunteered. What?! You think I'm crazy, I know. I grabbed some gauze and alcohol pads, handing them to Lauren, and held out my right forearm. "Try them on me," I said. She laughed at first, but I was persistent. We needed to know if the lancets created small dot-shaped cuts or dash-shaped cuts (the latter are better for Bleeding Times and finger sticks). Lauren assumed they were to be dots. First she shot me with the pink lancet, and then the purple. I must be crazy...but I was glad to be of service. Maybe I'm a masochist. Lauren was right - I ended up with two barely-visible dots of blood on my forearm. (We won't be using those!)

FATE OF THE SODA CAN:
Jessica came into the lab asking for some ibuprofen. I opened the cabinet where we keep our toiletries, moving aside a bottle of lotion and, in the process, knocking down an almost-empty can of Diet Coke (which shouldn't have been there in the first place). I had been checking off results in the notebook, so my papers were spread over the countertop. UGH! That soda spilled all over the place. I was so irritated that I threw the soda can in the sink and probably said something like, "Shit!" Jessica and Lauren laughed at me...I was actually upset! After it was cleaned up and Jessica had her pills, I finished up the paperwork and got back to ordering labs on the computer. I was still stewing about that soda can, trying to work it out. I got to thinking about fate. Since I was standing closest to the cabinet, I was the one to reach in for the ibuprofen. When I moved those items around I knocked the soda can down and spilled its contents. But...what if someone else had reached in the cabinet? Hmm.... Would that can still have spilled? I created my fate of knocking down the can because I chose to do that paperwork and get Jessica her pills. What if Lauren or Josette chose to do the paperwork, then stopped to reach inside the cabinet - would the soda still have spilled? We may never know...

No comments:

Followers