24 March 2008

To Veg or not to Veg?

I just remembered something else I wanted to talk about. Vegetarianism. I've taken part in this lifestyle over the last few months and, honestly, it's been stressful. Sometimes, I feel light as a feather, clean and wonderful. But living with mom and dad makes it difficult - almost everyday, or perhaps five-sevenths (five out of seven days, for those of you who didn't pick that up) of the time there is meat or poultry served in this house. I've been consuming many alternative proteins and fats while not eating meat. Examples: soy chicken strips (chicken-flavored...this is an issue of debate with many non-vegs..."Why would a vegetarian want to eat something that tastes like chicken if they don't eat chicken?" Perhaps we can get into that another time), Tofurkey brand soy sausages, tofu cooked many different ways, and the addition of soy milk to my diet. Oh, and lots of nuts, peanut butter and cheeses for additional protein.

Recently, due to a long winter, depression, continual meat-exposure and a renewed craving for meats, I have partaken. Last week, on St. Patrick's day, I celebrated the Irish holiday (of which I share no cultural history) by devouring a grilled corned beef Reuben. I must have been hungry that night, because I licked that plate clean! Of course I shit my brains out in the morning, but it was worth it.

This past weekend I was good on Friday, eating taco-flavored tofu crumbles in my taco salad, whilst everyone else ate the ground turkey (which I was never a big fan of anyway). Saturday came, along with my period, creating in me a voracious craving for meat. I can educatedly attribute this to the anemia that is caused by my monthly flow. Three girlfriends and I went out for dinner and drinks at a restaurant called Bahama Breeze. It was great! I pored over the menu, exhausted and a bit crabby, desperately needing something to eat. Lyss wanted the tostones (fried plantains), which came with peppers, onion, chicken and melted cheese on top. Allie and Lauren both had the grilled chicken with mashed potato and broccoli (FYI: George Bush (senior) does not like broccoli, and neither does my father...he always says, "George and I don't like broccoli."). I couldn't decide what to eat. I remembered that when we walked into the restaurant, I was hit with the smell of BBQ ribs. I had to have them! Lyss and I agreed to split the ribs and tostones. Oh man...what a great decision. Those ribs were incredible! I sucked every last bit of meat and cartilage from the bones, and enjoyed the sight of the sticky sauce that remained under my nails after eating the ribs. By the way, our waitress didn't bring wet naps - the audacity!

Needless to say, the trend continued. The following day was Easter. Regular breakfast of yogurt, fruit and cereal. Easter dinner consisted of baked ham, baked chicken, peas, snap peas, salad, homemade apple sauce, creamed cabbage (which is like a finely-minced cole-slaw), olives of two sizes (a Jennings family favorite), and I'm sure I've left something out. The point is, I ate up that ham and chicken so joyfully and so free of guilt!

At least my BMs have been wonderful the past few days. Whether or not I can attribute them to the meat or my period could be discussed...but really, who wants to talk about my poop besides me? haha I just realized that many of you probably aren't interested in bodily functions. Good onya if you do...welcome to my world!

We will see where this meat-eating ends up. I have a stash of tofu, soy chicken strips and a soy sausage in the fridge right now. It might be a little more time before I go back on the meat, but I have enjoyed every guilt-free moment of being an omnivore again.

Until next time...

No comments:

Followers