29 December 2011

Feelin' the flo

She's back and she brought all her baggage with her this time.

Despite her arrival, I had an amazing reunion last night with J&S & Cam. What started out as a beautiful 55 degree day, turned into a frigid and windy night in the 20's. Also, despite having to get my car from the impound lot at 9am, I ended up cheery and stress-free by the time dinner rolled around.

Cam and I rode our bikes to J&S's apt from his place, first with the wind at our backs and, upon turning onto Mass Ave, found ourselves standing on our pedals urging ourselves forward into the wind. Walking into the apartment building, I felt the rush of warm inside air and immediately started feeling my appendages again. We stuffed our bikes and our bodies into the tiny elevator and moved up to the 6th floor. Leaving the bikes in the hall and in the apartment, we were immediately enveloped by the smells of roasting vegetables and the vision of holiday lights and handmade snowflakes on the windows. They've lived in this small one-bedroom apartment for six years (quite successfully if you ask me) and every time I walk in, I feel like I am home.

S bought two beautiful steaks from Whole Foods and tied them together with a smattering of chopped herbs in the middle. She pan fried each side before throwing them into the oven with the roasting vegetables (which were the *most*incredibly*delicious* roasted veggies I've ever eaten). We started the evening with a bottle of TapeƱa Garnacha from Spain, soon after followed by a smooth Chilean wine, of which I've forgotten the name.

Our first course was a light salad of baby spinach, sliced pear & fennel, bleu cheese, fresh dill, and a homemade vinaigrette of which I couldn't distinguish the exact ingredients. Regardless, it was superb. With our second round of wine came the beautifully sliced steaks and buttery, crispy, roasted vegetables. That small kitchen just emanated deliciousness and laughter once we got to telling stories and teasing each other.

The night moved on like this, smoothly and full of joy, until J got up to cook bananas in butter, serving them with vanilla ice cream and freshly poured Bourbon. Mmm, delightful! At that point I was feeling quite happy and satisfied, and completely warmed by the love I was feeling in that kitchen. What a great first meeting for Cam and J&S!!! I had a feeling their worlds would merge in such a positive way. Hooray!

Finishing our desserts, we moved into the much cooler living room, the ladies with cups of sencha green tea with rice and the guys each with a glass of 23 1/2. This is the signature drink of J & P, as they live in apartments 23 and 24, respectively, thus making 23 1/2 the drink of both apartments. Quite genius! And delicious, of course. Had you any doubts?

We stayed in this way, drinking, telling stories, and laughing for hours until we realized it was almost 1:30am and we had to work the next day...well, Cam and I had to. J&S were on their week off, lucky ducks! Thanks to the incredible food and the warm drinks (and limited vehicles on the road), the ride home wasn't terrible, but sure was difficult! That wind was whipping at our faces and I didn't think I'd be able to feel my ears again!!!

Needless to say I can feel my ears, I am at peace today, and I am going home to have a nap with a heating pad. I can finish the rest of my work later...once I'm curled up and warm under the down comforter. Is there any better way to work on one's laptop on a frigid day like today?

No comments:

Followers