09 September 2008

floaty-hearted daydreamer

Claire Jayne, 9 months old. My goddaughter, the genius.
I talked to Lyss tonight and she shared with me the incredible things that little Claire is already capable of. So, here's what she can do...
- she can stand up on her own without holding onto anything
- she crawls really really fast
- she can take things apart and put them back together again, like stackable cups (future engineer?)
- she gives high-fives
- she dances to music
- she already has problem-solving/analytical skills (Example: Claire has figured out that if she wants something a few feet away from her and something is in the way, she can just move the thing that's in the way or step over it...perhaps if you've never watched a child develop, this means diddly squat to you)
- she belly laughs in response to things that are actually funny, she understands humor!

Tonight I cooked up quite the feast for dinner. Sauteed some red swiss chard with EVOO, black pepper and lemon juice. Mmmm.... Then cooked up some soy "chicken" strips with jerk seasoning. YUM! Lastly, I made my own version of black bean soup. I drained and rinsed a can of black beans, pureed them in the blender with soy milk and jalapenos. I poured the mix into a pan and added low-sodium chicken stock, diced red and green peppers, onion, jalapenos, celery and sprinkled in some Kosher salt and garlic powder. I usually use real garlic but completely forgot we had any. When the soup was warmed but the veggies not yet soft, I added some already-cooked rice - whole grain brown with wheat berries, barley and some sliced almonds. I ate it with a dollop of sour cream on top...delightful!

I have so many more things to write, but they will have to wait until later. It's past midnight and I have to wake at 6:30, then drive 3 hours to Boston with my mom. Sheesh!

Dreaming of first kisses, cherry pies and fluffy bunny tails....

No comments:

Followers