12 October 2008

spinning

Do you ever put laundry in the washer machine and just stare at it as the cycle begins...watching the clothes sloshing 'round and 'round. My favorite part is when the clothes move towards the center and get pulled around vigorously. It is here that they violently get sucked into the center post that is spinning the load in circles.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about my life and where it's going...where I'm going. I recently came back from a wonderful 6-day visit to Colorado (Denver, Boulder and areas around Breckenridge). It had its ups and downs like any vacation (though this one included a teensy bit of rain and a good, old fashioned dog bite) and I came home with a feeling of renewal...at least until I got to D.C. My layover was in D.C. and there was an added 3 hour delay because the pilots couldn't start one of the engines. The worst part was seeing East-coasters again...checking their watches, running around the airport, rushing, rushing, stressed out...it was madness. I quickly inhaled the stress and felt the relaxation leave my body (this was not my preference!). It was the strangest feeling. Although I love the East coast, and the Northeast especially, I can see that this stressed-out theme of big, busy city life really doesn't bode well with me these days.

The best part of my layover was meeting Pieter and Mary Beth - two CT-ers who now live in Colorado. Pieter lives in Boulder and Mary Beth lives just outside Steamboat. Hanging out with them was such a breath of fresh air...a Colorado breeze in my face again, reminding me of how wonderful my vacation was (despite being surrounded by rushing, stressed out East-coasters). Pieter and I shared stories about our lives, our passions, our histories. It seems that Colorado is full of free-spirited folks not unlike me.

So when I look into the washing machine and I see my clothing being battered, I realize that it's not such a bad thing. What's really happening is that they're being tossed around, being woken up, shaken about...that spinning post is saying, "Hey! It's time to make a change! Get excited about life again! Get your ass moving you little shit!" (Well, that last sentence was really something from my subconcious, haha...but I hope you get the point.)

A change is coming real soon.

No comments:

Followers