23 January 2009

Coca-Cola and the corporations...

I'm sitting here in the commuter lounge watching the Coke man refill the machine, and wondering to myself, "How can he be happy with that job?" It's not the mundane task of removing the earned cash or refilling the bottles that I don't understand - it's having a job in which you're selling absolute shit to people, which in the long run is adding towards bad health and poor nutrition. Perhaps it's job security. I doubt that Coca-Cola will ever go out of business (though I wish they would), thus this guy's got it made. I just couldn't ever see myself working for a company that doesn't do anything positive for the health of it's clients.

I have this professor, Sra. Elissondo, who was born in Argentina and is a left-winger. She's absolutely one of the most liberal women I have met in my life. She despises multinational corporations and feels very strongly towards equality rights for all. And, like me, she just doesn't get - or care about - the business world, how it works and all of its money-making schemes. Already, on my second day of class with her, I have developed a deep respect for her and her openness with her opinions of the world in which we live.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I learned all these things in Spanish? :) All my classes are conducted in Spanish and I am learning lots of social and cultural themes that I may not have encountered before in any of my English-speaking classes. What a shame I never took more social-minded classes.

P.S. What a shame about Coca-Cola owning Fanta and it containing heaps of HFCS because I discovered its orangey goodness for the first time when I was in Israel in summer of 1997. Tasty...but I no longer partake in its goodness (or badness?).

No comments:

Followers