14 December 2008

Eulogizing...

I finished the eulogy and showed it to Father Mike today - he loved it. He even suggested we bring some of my grandma's bells (she has a collection of hundreds all over the house) to the church and have people ring them. I've already got a box set up to bring them along. I'll have to pass them out to family members the morning of the funeral and tell them to ring the bells at the end of my speech, they'll know when. I cried on the way home from the church, listening to some sappy country songs about love and loss (aren't they all?). I'm glad to be able to do the eulogy, though I know it won't be easy with her lying there in front of me in the casket. At least I know that she's in a better place.

We have heaps upon heaps of food coming to the house. Cold cuts, lasagna, brisket, fruit baskets and pastries. We'll be fat-layered up for the winter in no time. Too bad gram isn't around to join in, but she always loved sending us home with leftovers...so perhaps this is her way of feeding us from heaven?

I plan on copying the eulogy here in my blog, but not until after the funeral. It just wouldn't feel right. It would be like closing the front door before you've even walked outside for the mail. Once I've given my speech and shared all the wonderful things about Grandma with everyone, then I will share it here.

Cathi's bringing eight pizzas to gram's house today for lunch. Then at 4pm we have calling hours at the funeral home. I've gotta get myself washed up and ready for the afternoon. Ugh...I just feel like laying in bed watching a movie, or old episodes of Gray's Anatomy. Care to join?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was very moving Sarah, very well written.

Followers